What's New in OCLC WorldShare Management Services?
Introducing WorldShare Metadata and WorldShare Interlibrary Loan!
The library community has made it clear that traditional management systems lack the flexibility to meet the challenges of changing collections and the needs of library users. And since the demand for library services has never been higher, new collaborative and innovative solutions are needed now more than ever.
With ongoing member feedback, we are now incrementally moving new and existing OCLC services to the WorldShare Platform, including WorldShare Metadata and WorldShare Interlibrary Loan. One of the key design principles for the WorldShare architecture is vendor neutrality, recognizing that libraries work within an environment of non-OCLC and OCLC services. Learn about these exciting new WorldShare services and applications here!
Developers can now build applications with real-time data from the new WorldCat Live! API
Developed by the OCLC Innovation Lab, the WorldCat Live! API provides a real-time stream of newly added records of library collections and published materials to WorldCat. It is freely available under the Open Data Commons Attribution License. View API live here!
Join Us for an In-Depth Demonstration of WorldShare Management Services: Acquisitions and License Manager
Find out how OCLC WorldShare Management Services provide a new cooperative approach to managing library services, such as integrated acquisitions, cataloging, circulation, patron administration, resource sharing and e-resource management. Demo will be held Thursday, May 16 at 2:00 pm ET. View event details and register here
Sharing data, applications and workflow improvements
With OCLC WorldShare Management Services™, OCLC is moving routine yet critical library functions—including acquisitions, circulation and subscription and license management—to the Web. This will generate cost benefits for libraries and efficiencies not possible when utilizing disparate, specialized systems.
Working together, libraries can share data, applications and workflow improvements with peer institutions, end users and partners. And since OCLC WorldShare Management Services are built on an open, collaborative platform, libraries can add the features and functions needed to support their unique communities. Those without development resources can take advantage of applications developed by others in the library community.
The results for you and your users? You'll be able to focus more of your resources on the critical needs of your community and on local innovation. When basic services are less expensive, easier to use and more cohesive, you'll have more time to do the work that is most valuable to your users and community.
What makes OCLC WorldShare Management Services unique?
Standing apart from traditional library management services, OCLC WorldShare Management Services are truly revolutionary. They:
- Leverage the size and scope of WorldCat, the largest library catalog on earth, and the OCLC cooperative
- Allow for shareable data about back-office services
- Work entirely on the Web, eliminating many support issues
- Integrate with discovery and delivery functions
- Provide data, tools and services that programmers and developers from any organization, no matter how big or small, can use to create applications and share ideas.
According to our members, the costs of "business as usual" are unacceptably high. Moving management services to Webscale is the next, logical step.
Top reasons libraries are choosing OCLC WorldShare Management Services
- Shared data: Based on the aggregated data of WorldCat, the WorldCat knowledge base, vendor records, authority records and more
- Radically-improved workflows: Seamless integration of ordering, receiving and cataloging saves time!
- Intuitive and streamlined staff-interface: Common interface manages all physical, electronic and digital materials
- Increased visibility on the Web: OCLC partnerships redirect users from the open Web straight to your library
- Single search access: Google-like searching delivers content from your library and the world's library collections
- IT tasks offloaded to us: No longer managing hardware, software, and updates lets you reallocate resources
- Apps from OCLC WorldShare Platform™: Creation, sharing and use of new applications enhances your staff and patron experience